ChrisFR
Any or no Hi ! How to use "any" and "no" ? Should i write : "Any + nuns' or " no + nuns" as EXAMPLE : I have no idea I have any idea. Thank for your answer ^^
"I have no idea" is correct. Example: When Bill was asked who took the food from table, he replied "I have no idea". "I have any idea." is not correct. You could, however, say "I don't have any idea" (I do not have any idea). You will also hear, quite often in the southern regional English "I don't have the slightest idea", which also means the same thing. All are just polite ways of saying: I don't know.
You say "no" when you want to indicate the absence of something. "I have no idea" means you don't have ANY idea. "I have any idea" basically means you have all ideas. There are 3 ways of using any: 1) as an "intensifier" in negative statements: - "I don't have ANY objections/I don't have objections" meaning: "I have NO objections" (as you can see we could get by without an ANY in that sentence); 2) as a "some" in questions: - "Have you got ANY objections?"; 3) as an "all" in positive statements: - "I can do ANYthing", meaning: "I can do ALL things"
'Any' means "at least one" or "at least some". Ex. "Pick a chair" and "Pick any chair" are almost the same, except the latter implies that it doesn't matter which chair you choose. "No" is used to negate a noun. So "I have no idea" means "I don't have an idea". "I have any ___" is wrong because it doesn't make logical sense. You could say something like "Do you have any idea?" ("any idea" means "at least some idea"). You could also say "I don't have any idea" instead of "I don't have an idea" if you want to emphasise you don't have the slightest bit of an idea. You could also say something like "If you have any ideas, let me know“.
Assuming you are talking about "idea" as knowing something, you can say: [positive] I have an idea. [negative] I have no idea. I haven't any idea. / I don't have any idea. [positive question] Do you have an idea? Do you have any idea? [negative question] Do you have no idea? / Haven't you any idea? / Do you not have any idea? === If you say "I have any idea", it's wrong.
ChrisFR
English, French, Italian
English, Italian