Lily
I haven't seen him in years. She said she hadn't seen him in years. Is this correct, or do I need to change "in years" to something else? Thanks!
Dec 5, 2014 3:28 PM
Both are fine. You could say, "I haven't seen him FOR years," as well. If you want to go to the future... then you need 'for.' ('in' doesn't work). I won't/mightn't/shan't see him for years. However, word it differently and 'in' works: I'll see him in a few years. But for the present and past: I haven't seen him in/for years, I hadn't seen him in/for years. Also, I didn't see him for years. I think it sounds odd to use 'in' here. With 'didn't' - but perhaps that's just me!
December 5, 2014
I'm guessing that you're asking about changing a sentence from direct to indirect speech. What you have written is correct. The phrase 'in years' doesn't change when you put the sentence into indirect speech.
December 5, 2014
Both are correct.
December 5, 2014
Lily
Arabic, English, French