ALEX
English speakers, Please help us finish the discussion! I've received a letter, which contains "Send me a mail too." (we were testing a mail system here). Please, check the following list of possible answers and explain which one of them fits the situation better: 1) I think you had wanted me to send you a letter.(Past Perfect) 2) I think you have wanted me to send you a letter.(Present perfect) 3) I think you wanted me to send you a letter.(Past simple) Thanks for your help!
2
0
I think you wanted me to send you a letter is right. The second one really doesn't make sense. The first one would make more sense if it said, "i thought you had wanted me to send you a letter." The last one is the easiest way to say it.
i'm not good at tenses but i'll try to answer it. i think (3) is the answer. 'i think you wanted me to send you a letter' the other options 'i think you had wanted me..' and 'i think you have wanted me..' (if i'm not mistaken) are used when you want to say something before another thing. i mean, since you only want to make sure of what he said 'send me mail too..' so you use simple past tense. well, may be i am wrong. anybody have an idea?
ALEX