Community Web Version Now Available
Amber Wu
the most appropriate phrase for someone who live in city Which is/are the most appropriate (or used) phrase(s) to describe someone who live in the city? city dweller ? city resident ? urban dweller ? urban citizen ? urban resident ? Thans a lot.
May 29, 2015 4:35 AM
Answers · 7
Firstly, note that your question should read '.... someone who LIVES in a city'. 'Someone' is a singular noun, so its verbs needs a third-person 's'. All of those terms are possible, I think, apart from 'urban dweller', which is a little odd. To understand why, it helps to realise that, grammatically, your list includes are two different types of noun phrases. 'City dweller' and 'city resident' are compound nouns, made up of two nouns put together. The others are made up of an adjective and a noun. The word 'dweller' means 'someone who lives in a xx'. A 'city dweller' is person who lives in a city. So an 'urban dweller' is someone who lives in a ......? This doesn't work, because 'urban' is an adjective. 'City dweller' and 'urban resident' are the terms which are the most usual.
May 29, 2015
I think they're all technically okay as far as making sense, but Robin is right that "city dweller," "urban resident," and "urban citizen" sound least strange. Most times, though, we'd just say, "I live in a city" or something like that instead of trying to make a noun out of it.
May 29, 2015
I think saying City Dweller, Urban resident, or Urban citizen sound less strange than City Resident and Urban Dweller. None of them are too common, but they all make sense.
May 29, 2015
Amber Wu
Language Skills
Chinese (Mandarin), English
Learning Language