Jose
Play or playing This is something i always wanted to know:Which is the difference between "i like TO PLAY football" and "I like PLAYING football??. Thanks in advance!!!
May 31, 2015 10:16 AM
14
0
I don't think there is any difference in the meaning. I like to play football in my spare time. I like playing football in my spare time. The meaning of those two sentences is the same. I'm not quite sure why people are saying they have different meanings.
You can say either,there is not really any difference.
Like to play (pay more attention to immediate action)Want to play, mostly intend to do it right now Like playing (pay more attention to continued status)Be fond of playing
Just to add... if the phrase uses "would like" to express a desire, then you always use "to play". "I would like to play football." - correct "I would like playing football." - incorrect... the only way this could work is in a second conditional, so you'd need to write a longer sentence. Even then, you're saying that you don't enjoy playing football.
I agree with Ruthi and Paul: there's no difference.
Jose