Dmitriy
Is it correct to say so? I want to improve my English because I think I will need it to negotiate with people who I think I will be getting my work from.
May 31, 2015 2:43 PM
4
0
It's not wrong exactly but a little confusing and clumsy. "I want to improve my English because I think I will need it to negotiate with people from whom I may get work". Maybe better like this?
Typically, you want to avoid repeating the same phrases in a sentence with different meanings. Here, you use "I think" twice; once for 'need it to negotiate' and once for 'getting my work from'. As Ruthi says, if you only use 'I think' once, we can assume the rest of the sentence is a guess. Alternatively, you can use a different way of portraying doubt: "I want to improve my English because I think I will need it to negotiate with people from who I may get work." "I want to improve my English because I think I will need it to negotiate with people from who I might get work." "I want to improve my English because I think I will need it to negotiate with people from who I will seek get work." Additionally, you can collapse "people I will be getting my work from" into one word, "employers". "I want to improve my English because I may need it to negotiate with potential employers."
Dmitriy
English, German, Russian, Ukrainian
English, German