Eva
Is the sentence right? Sentence 1:When I was in elementary school, we went outside for "the" PE class. Sentence 2:I would find out who stole the money and not accuse anyone without "the" proof. I want to ask are these sentences right, and I want to know when I need to use the word "the"?
May 31, 2015 3:06 PM
2
0
"the" is required for nouns that are specific objects, like the one and only. For example: I live in Indonesia. It is an archipelago country found beside "the" Pacific Ocean. For your sentences, using "a" or "an" instead of "the" would be more preferable since: 1. There's nothing specific about "PE class". 2. There could be more than one proof, thus making "proof" not specific. However if there is something special about the "PE class" and "proof" making it somewhat unique or so, then it is better to use "the".
I do not think either sentence needs the word "the." As a native speaker, I would not say them with "the." If you did, though, it would still be completely understandable :) Let me know if you want more help!
Eva
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Taiwanese), English