Amir
Being thankful Hi pals, I'd like to learn some expressions to show my thankfulness to people who do me a favour. It'd be nice if I you could categorize them into different occasions. Thank you
5
0
Unfortunately, English doesn't have a lot of different ways to thank someone. 'Thank you' and 'thank you very much' are common ways that might be used for nearly anything. Specifically for people that do you a favor - if the favor is done with the understanding that you then owe them a favor in return you might say, "Thank you. I owe you one." or "Thank you, if I can ever do anything to repay you, please tell me." Or more formally: "Thank you. I am in your debt." - This is not very commonly used at all, but I've occasionally heard it.
The adjective you are looking for here is 'grateful', rather than 'thankful'. You cannot say that you are 'thankful' for what someone has done, but you can say that you are 'grateful'. So, in addition to the phrases which Jason has given you, you could also say 'I'm very grateful to you.' or, more strongly, perhaps 'I'm so grateful to you for what you did'
Amir
English, Persian (Farsi), Turkish
English, Turkish