Wu Ting
How would you interpret the last sentence? At first the news was about airlifts into Berlin, those desperate people now six months under siege. The American flyers are getting in more food than ever, thousands of tons, and now also coal so the Berliners won’t freeze. The interview was an air force man who said next month they plan to drop candy and toys from the planes, with little parachutes. “Those German kiddies will have Santa Claus, whether Joe Stalin wants them to or not,” he vowed. “Mr. Shepherd, how be ye?” she asked suddenly. I must have looked unwell. I blew my nose to preserve dignity. I’d been close to tears, for the most ridiculous reason. “I was thinking of my old boss, Lev Trotsky,” I confessed. “He would have loved that report. The triumph of compassion over Stalin’s iron fist. The people prevail, with candy and parachutes.”“It’s our boys helping them do it,” she said, and I said yes, it is, and wanted to dance with Mrs. Brown, stomp my feet at the doorsill. My country ‘tis of thee. How would you interpret the last sentence: My country ‘tis of thee? I looked it up and found that it is the title of a American patriotic song. So I guess the narrator wanted to sing the song at that time, right? Or does it mean the radio was broadcasting the song? Thanks! And this excerpt is taken from The Lacuna by Kingsolver.
1
0
Yes, it's a line from a patriotic song. I think it's a way of saying that the airlift made him feel patriotic and proud of his country.
Wu Ting