Hamed
A simple question. 'Is' or 'Are'? [British English] First of all, sorry about asking this simple question here. But, better to ask the way than go astray! I've got to! - The quality of the videos are really good. - The quality of the videos is really good. I have doubts if the verb 'To be' refers to the word 'Videos' or the word 'Quality'. If the verb 'To be' is referring to the word 'Quality', I think the second sentence should be correct. Also, I've read somewhere, in British English both 'Is' and 'Are' are acceptable in some contexts, but in American English just 'Is' is acceptable! But I've forgotten in which contexts! If you tell me in which contexts, it helps. Another example: - The colour of them are nice. - The colour of them is nice. And what about these: - This kind of phrases is ...[The rest of the sentence] - This kind of phrases are ...[The rest of the sentence] - These kind of phrases are ...[The rest of the sentence] - These kinds of phrases are ...[The rest of the sentence]It's a little bit confusing, because of the word 'Kind'. I know if we delete the term 'Kind of' in those sentences, then we can simply say 'This phrase is' and 'These phrases are'.
11
0
'The quality of the videos is really good' is correct. 'The quality if the videos are... is incorrect. Similarly 'the colour of them is nice' is right and 'the colour of them are nice' is wrong. Although, the construction is a bit strange, I would say 'they have a nice colour'. Phrases is plural so you have to say 'these'. This kind of phrases is incorrect. These kinds of phrases are.. This kind of phrase is...
The verb should be in the singular. The subject of the sentence is 'quality', so the verb has to be 'is'. The videos are really good quality (plural subject) The quality of the videos is really good (singular subject)
Hamed
English, Persian (Farsi)