Hamed
Why do we need a 'BE' here? We say: - 'I will go'. But why do we say: - 'I will be back'. There is a 'BE' there, and I don't understand it. Why don't we say: - 'I will back'. 'I will return' or 'I will be return'? Could someone please tell me the rule?
6
0
You can't say 'I will back' because there is no verb in this sentence. 'Go' and 'return' are verbs, but 'back' is not a verb here - it's an adverb. Saying 'I will be back' is the same construction as 'I will be abroad' or 'I will be home' or 'I will be away'. These are adverbs indicating where the person is, and you also have to have a verb in the sentence. I will go away. I will be back. I will return home. Each of the above sentences is composed of a verb phrase (I will go/I will be/I will return) and an adverb (away/back/home).
"be" means "to take place" or "to exist". So, "go" is a noun, it does not need "be", as it is a 'doing-word'. "Back" is not a noun. Therefore, for you to 'go back' or 'come back', it needs "be". So you say I will "be back" or I will "come back". In the second question, return is a noun, a doing-word, so it does not need "be". You are returning. <--- Does make sense. You are going. <--- Does make sense. You are backing <--- Does not make sense.
Hamed
English, Persian (Farsi)