小豆丁2014
what does "didn't close off she opened up"mean? “Long before your time. Used to be staircases behind the walls, and ways for the servants to get up and down without running into family or guests. One of the first things Hester did once they took over the house was have them closed up. Eli made the mistake of telling her how kids had gotten lost and locked in behind the walls. He made half of it up, I expect, that was his way to a good story. But she put her foot down. I closed them up myself, me and three I hired on for the job. What she didn’t close off she opened up—the breakfast room, another bed and bath on the second floor.”2. does "the breakfast room" the servants passages in the breakfast room? 3.what does "another bed and bath"mean? does it mean:there are servants passages in second floor's one bedroom and one bathroom?
1
0
That statement is referring to the rooms. The dangerous rooms were "closed off," meaning you aren't allowed to enter it. The safe rooms were "opened up," meaning that you were allowed to enter. for example: Police can "close off" a street after a car accident. Later they will "open up" the street allowing people through again.
小豆丁2014