RKI
How to understand this sentence? The differences between Western and non-Western cultures are rationalized through non-Western peoples being defined as the ‘Others’, distinguished solely through their antagonism to the dominant image of the ‘self’, and against whose peculiarities the self-image of the West is created. Does 'their' refer to 'non-Western peoples'? What does 'whose' refer to ? Can you explain the structure of this sentence to me? Thank you.The differences between Western and non-Western cultures are rationalized through non-Western peoples being defined as the ‘Others’, distinguished solely through their antagonism to the dominant image of the ‘self’, and against whose peculiarities the self-image of the West is created. Does 'their' refer to 'non-Western peoples'? What does 'whose' refer to ? Can you explain the structure of this sentence to me? Thank you.
2015年6月2日 17:43
2
0
I agree with the answer already given, both "their" and "whose" refer to "non-Western people". Beyond that I would struggle to explain the structure of the sentence other than to say, it is awful English. It is overly complex and a native speaker would have to read it several times to understand it.
2015年6月2日
Hello, I am not sure but "their" refers to "non-Western people" because sentence is about resistency of "non-Western people" about being like a Western "self". And "whose" also refers to "non-West people" because they are unique compared to dominant image.
2015年6月2日
RKI
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English, German, Korean