Gloria
Community Tutor
"On her way into the laboratory she passed the scanner" The book says: "On her way into the laboratory she passed the scanner" Did she passed through the scanner? in front of the scanner? by the scanner? Thanks in advance for your help.
6
0
She walked past (by) the scanner.
On her way into the laboratory she passed (by) the scanner ; the word 'by' is omitted [left out] by convention [practice], but it is implied. 'On my way to work I pass the newsagent' 'Did you pass her office on your way up here ?' You can equally well include 'by' : 'Did you pass by her office on your way up here ?'
Thanks a lot! I'll read that!
I agree with what the others say, however ''pass through the scanner'' is correct in a different context. Here is a link, read the part ''Body scanners and pregnancy'' http://www.manchesterairport.co.uk/at-the-airport/guides-to-travelling/security-and-fasttrack/body-scanners
Gloria
Catalan, English, French, Spanish