面包糖糖
what does "the shorter walk"here mean? “There is.” She tightened her hold when he weaved a bit. “And gravity, too. This place is lousy with air and gravity. We should get inside. My place is closer.” “Yeah, we could . . . except I don’t like leaving the house empty. It feels wrong.” With a nod, she forgot the shorter walk. “It’s good for you to walk in the fresh air and gravity anyway. I’m glad you came in tonight.” “I wasn’t going to, but I kept thinking about you. Then there was the whole Easter thing happening.”2. what does "walk in gravity"mean?
5
0
Honestly, this reads like a rough translation. This isn't writing by a native English speaker. From this paragraph, it's not clear what exactly they mean by 'shorter walk'. It suggests that they were going to take a different route to the other person's house, which is a 'shorter route' (it's closer). We would only say "walk in the fresh air", not "walk in gravity" Here's the wikipedia link for gravity. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravity We would only use it in science or maybe to make a joke. For example, if you drop your pencil, you'd joke, "darn gravity!"
Is this by any chance science fiction? ;) I would say it probably refers to artificial gravity on a space station or similar. This is native English, the only thing strange is the science fiction context.
to walk in fresh air and gravity when one is drunk is apparently more difficult. Because there is always gravity, it's a little comical in writing- and clever. it implies that hopefully, when one is drunk, there might be a place with out gravity that one could try walking because being intoxicated and walking in a place with gravity (like earth) sometimes results in falling.
面包糖糖