Tomomi
I have a question in this sentence, would you tell me? I have a question in this sentence below. Why is this sentence used "so is it impossible" even though that is not question? Would you tell me? Just as it is impossible for a steam engine to run with all its valves open, so is it impossible for you to waste your energy and run at your top speed. Thanks in advance!
3
0
Its an obscure use of English. But so is used in comparisons: so1 səʊ/ adverb adverb: so 1. to such a great extent. "the words tumbled out so fast that I could barely hear them" extremely; very much (used for emphasis). "she looked so pretty" informal used to emphasize a clause or negative statement. "that's so not fair" informal used with a gesture to indicate size. "the bird was about so long" 2. to the same extent (used in comparisons). "he isn't so bad as you'd think" 3. referring back to something previously mentioned: that is the case. "‘Has somebody called an ambulance?’ ‘I believe so’" the truth. "I hear that you're a writer—is that so?" similarly; and also. "times have changed and so have I" expressing agreement. "‘There's another one.’ ‘So there is.’" Irish used for emphasis in a formula added at the end of a statement. "your old man was the salt of the earth, so he was" informal used to emphatically contradict a negative statement. "it is so!" 4. in the way described or demonstrated; thus. "hold your arms so"
The answer comes in the form of a question or an exclamation This is reflected in pronunciation
Tomomi