Rodrigo Marcelo
A new expression for me: can you help me? How can I say 'estar a par de' in English? Is there a equivalent expression in this language? In Portuguese, we say this sentence when we want to express that somebody knows almost absolutely all situation about any thing which is in discussion.
4
1
In many cases, 'estar de par de' is simply translated as 'know' of 'to be aware of'. For example: 'He knows everything about the situation' or 'He is fully aware of the situation.' The nearest set phrase we have is the borrowed French expression, to be 'au fait' with something. For example : 'Are you au fait with the situation?' Another phrase, used a lot in business contexts where the situation may be constantly changing, is 'up to speed'. For example: 'Are you up to speed with what's happening on the ABC project?'.
Thanks, Ruthi! I would like to see an example for this. Can I say like that? 'He is in the know about/of your new job'. "Il est au fait de ton nouveau travail."
Funnily enough we use a French expression - he is au fait with that subject. You can also say "He is in the know".
Rodrigo Marcelo
English, French, Portuguese, Spanish