Hamed
What is the proper preposition for the words 'Somebody', 'Someone' and 'Mankind'? For example: If you ask somebody/someone your question, he answers you. If you ask somebody/someone your question, she answers you. If you ask somebody/someone your question, it answers you. If you ask somebody/someone your question, this answers you. If you ask somebody/someone your question, that answers you. Mankind can go to space. He/She/It/This/That can go to space. I'm confused, because those words 'Somebody', 'Someone' and 'Mankind' can be both male and female. I use the preposition 'He' for 'Mankind', but I'm not sure if 'He' is the best preposition for it or not. And I don't know which one I should choose.
8
0
If you ask someone a question they will answer you. 'They' is the gender neutral pronoun to use here. You can replace someone/somebody with 'them'. If you ask them a question they will answer you. Here 'them' it is generic, we don't specify a gender. It sounds strange to use a pronoun for 'mankind'. Mankind refers to human beings as a whole species, both male and female, whereas 'someone' or 'somebody' refers to an individual, whether they be male or female. Mankind can go to space. The human race can go to space.
Hamed
English, Persian (Farsi)