Renzo Sanchez
The Use of English Subjunctive Hi guys! One question for you! :) Here is an example I found on a website: "I suggest that you not take the job without renegotiating the salary". Is it right to say "I suggest you don't take the job without renegotiating the salary".?? How often you use subjuncitve, in oral language native speakers skip the subjunctive? Thank you for your reply!
6
0
You are right. We tend to avoid the subjunctive if at all possible. "I suggest that you not take the job without renegotiating the salary". This is correct but quite formal. Is it right to say "I suggest you don't take the job without renegotiating the salary".?? Yes, it's fine. Most native speakers would feel more comfortable with this form.
This use of the present subjunctive is definitely dying out, however, I would say that Americans are far more likely to use it than our UK counterparts -- especially in formal writing, but but we often use it in spoken English as well. In your example, it doesn't make much difference, but it could in a phrase like "she insists her son studies hard" versus "she insists her son study hard."
Most native speakers aren't even aware the subjunctive tense exists in English. There are only a few situations where it's necessary to use it e.g 'If I were you, I wouldn't do that', but by and large we avoid using it.
Renzo Sanchez
Chinese (Shanghainese), English, French, German, Italian, Korean, Russian, Spanish
Chinese (Shanghainese), English, French, German, Italian, Korean, Russian