Gil-seop
Please help me 1)bond The best way to bond with a pet is to play with it. 2)network The event will offer you a good opportunity to network with industry leaders from all over the world. 3)battled/combated Throughout her career, she has battled/combated gender discrimination. 4)videotape We're going to videotape the whole event. 5)parent Parenting a teenager is not an easy thing. 6)winter They winter in their mansion in Florida every year. 7)age She looked as if she had aged overnight. 8)vacation We vacation in Hawaii every year. 9)lunch Yesterday, I lunched with Mark at the Oasis Cafe. 10)father Jacob's twelve sons fathered the twelve tribes of Israel. These expressions and examples are in my book but I was often told that some from it were old-fashioned. Please let me know if these are outdated or there are more natural ways to say them.
5 de jun de 2015 8:51
11
0
I will do my best to answer the question, sorry for any inaccurate information. The first sentence I would not say is outdated but should be written as "The best way to form a bond with a pet is to play with it." "The event will offer you a good opportunity to network with industry leaders from all over the world." Replace network with "connect" and you have a modern phrase. "Throughout her career, she has battled gender discrimination." This does sound natural but you could replace "battled" with "fought against" "We're going to videotape the whole event." This does not sound natural and many people from the United States would just say "record" in place of "videotape". "They winter in their mansion in Florida every year." Replace "winter in" with "go on winter vacation to" "Parenting a teenager is not an easy thing." No change "She looked as if she had aged overnight." No change "We vacation in Hawaii every year." No change "Yesterday, I lunched with Mark at the Oasis Cafe." replace "lunched" with "had lunch" "Jacob's twelve sons fathered the twelve tribes of Israel" No change
5 de Junio de 2015
Apart from using "winter" as a verb (it sounds completely foreign to me), I have no problem with any of the other sentences. Where was your book published?
5 de Junio de 2015
Gil-seop