太阳花443
what does " the era of Liar’s Poker, Bonfire of the Vanities, and Working Girl."mean? I was at the pinnacle of my Wall Street career, but getting to this place of power and respect had been hard won. My husband and I had moved to New York in 1989 so that he could pursue a PhD in molecular biology at Columbia University. While he was in school, we needed to pay our bills. I had to get a job. I’d majored in music (piano). I had no business credentials, connections, or confidence, so I started as a secretary to a retail sales broker at Smith Barney in midtown Manhattan. It was the era of Liar’s Poker, Bonfire of the Vanities, and Working Girl. Working on Wall Street was exciting. I started taking business courses at night and I had a boss who believed in me, which allowed me to bridge from secretary to invest-ment banker. This rarely happens. Later I became an equity research analyst and subsequently cofounded the investment firm Rose Park Advisors with Clayton Christensen, a professor at Harvard Business School.
4
0
Liar's Poker, The Bonfire of the Vanities, and Working Girl were all 80s era books and/or films that glorified the excesses of the people who worked in finance on Wall Street during the stock market boom.
Liar's Poker and Bonfire of the Vanities are both books. Bonfire was made into a film. Working Girl is a movie from the late 1980s. Basically, all of them are about Wall Street in the late eighties.
The author is describing the era by reference to three bestselling books. If readers of the article had also read those books, it would help them to place the situation in the right cultural and historical context.
太阳花443
Chinese (Mandarin)