Wu Ting
How would you interpret the word “spectacle” here? An assignation. First of the new year. Tommy’s attention seems to be wearing thin. Lying on his back blowing smoke rings, his eyes kept going to the window like a bird trapped indoors, wanting out. Rather than gazing upon the spectacle of me, sitting in the Morris chair all bundled up in my long knitted scarf. Mrs. Brown’s Christmas present. If I can keep her long enough I shall be warm as a lamb, head to toe. I thought of getting out last year’s gloves and putting those on too; the little room was freezing. How would you interpret the word “spectacle” in the sentence “Rather than gazing upon the spectacle of me…”? I guess it means the same as in the idiom “make a spectacle of yourself”, right? Thanks. And this excerpt is taken from The Lacuna by Kingsolver.
3
0
It's a fancy word used to emphasize someone's unusual appearance. :-)
He thinks he looks strange or ludicrous. A "spectacle" can mean a big, dramatic, impressive, attention-grabbing performance or show. By extension, to "make a spectacle of yourself" means to act or dress in a bizarre way that makes people want to stare at you. "For heaven's sake don't go outside in your bathrobe, you'll make a spectacle out of yourself."
The sight of me. No, it is not making a spectacle of yourself, but in this case it jkust me seeing me in the chair.
Wu Ting