Community Web Version Now Available
why I can not find some words in the oxford dictionary This is a sentence in a passage of The Economists"Spain’s regional elections saw large gains for two upstart parties...” And I dont know the meaning of upstart,so I turned to the oxford dictionary, and it shows that it is a noun.But isn't it an adjective in the sentence?? I am really confused >< And also there is another word "fragmented".Is it also a adjective? why I can not find the adj. in the dictionary .....
Jun 6, 2015 2:15 AM
Answers · 5
In English, parts of speech are very flexible. "Fragmented" is an adjective from the past / passive participle of "to fragment." Nouns can usually be used freely as adjectives (in which case the first noun usually gets the primary accent in speech) or even verbs in English.
June 6, 2015
Yes, upstart is an adjective there. So is fragmented. Fragmented means broken into pieces, but is most often used in a figurative sense to describe things like ideas or organisations that have obvious splits. I don't know why they aren't in the dictionary - perhaps they are more modern uses that the dictionary hasn't caught up with?
June 6, 2015
Language Skills
Chinese (Mandarin), Chinese (Cantonese), English, Japanese
Learning Language
Chinese (Cantonese), English, Japanese