Anotherworld
I wonder what this phrase means here. Nothing is gonna keep you from getting what you deserve, not if I can help it. Is he taking a second job?—Not if his wife can help it. He's not riding on the back of that motorcycle, not if I can help it. She won't be invited again, not if I can help it -- I wonder what the phrase "not if I can help it" means here. Please could I trouble you, asking you of explaining the meaning of that phrase in each sentence to me? Please help me! Thanks!!
6 июня 2015 г., 17:50
6
0
This is a common colloquial expressions that you need to understand as a whole - there's really no point in analysing it in parts. "Not if I can help it" means the speaker intends to do something to prevent a situation from happening. For example, "She won't be invited again, not if I can help it" means that the speaker will make sure that the woman never receives an invitiation... probably by bad-mouthing her to other people.
6 июня 2015 г.
I think: Can help = able to do
6 июня 2015 г.
Anotherworld