Michael King
How would you translate the following sentence? 我们 刚 认识 一 个 月 I am learning how to use the character " 刚", but I have run into an issue while reading about it online. On the website that I was reading, the above sentence was translated as "we just knew each other for a month"; however, from everything that I had read earlier, it seems like it should be "We just met each other a month ago". Am I correct, or can 刚 be used in both ways? (by "both ways", i mean both in the construction "just happened (x) time ago" as well as the construction "something happened just for (x) amount of time". And if it can indeed be used in both ways, how would I express "we just met a month ago"? How do I know when it is being used in which way? Thanks so much, Michael King
8
0
Hi Michael, in Chinese "刚" means "just", it can mean in the construction "just happened (x) time ago" as well as the construction "something happened just for (x) amount of time". However, the two constructions have not much relationship with "刚" itself, it's more related with the sentence order. For example, “我们刚认识一个月”means "we just knew each other for a month ", and if you want to express "we just met a month ago", it is "我们一个月前刚认识。" Hope this will be helpful. : ) Li Ying
both in the construction "just happened (x) time ago" as well as the construction "something happened just for (x) amount of time". 刚 is used like 'just", you can tell it is used in which way by the time phrase 一个月 means for a month 一个月前 means one month ago 我们一个月前刚见过。We just met each other a month ago. 我们刚认识一个月。 We just knew each other for a month. If "met" here means you are introduced to them and begin talking to them and getting to know them, then "We just met each other a month ago" means 我们一个月前刚认识 or 我们刚认识一个月, same meaning
我们刚认识一个月,Here just means the action or situation happened in not long ago,so I think this sentence"We just met each other a month ago" which meaning is closer .
I think "we just knew each other for a month" is emphasizing the time: a month. That is said:he/she and I just meet each other only a month.(I want to point out the one month.) But the sentence "We just met each other a month ago" emphasize the situation :"We just met each other" the time is not so important.
Michael King
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Portuguese, Spanish
Chinese (Mandarin), Portuguese