Kasia
"We must put emphasis on preserving the integrity of local produce." What does "integrity" mean here It's the first time I see "integrity" in such context and I can't make much of it... I kind of know what it means but just need some confirmation. :)
4
0
I think "integrity" here means "honesty." In my town in the U.S. we have a "farmer's market" every Wednesday on the town common. Farmers set up booths and sell fruits and vegetables. I can imagine a town committee that runs a farmers market saying: "The purpose of the farmer's market is to provide an alternative to the supermarket and let people buy local produce. We have always allowed farmers to sell produce that wasn't grown on their farm, but last year there was a case of someone selling produce that wasn't even grown in the United States. This year we have added a rule that everything sold at the farmer's market must have been grown in the state of Massachusetts. We must protect the integrity of local produce."
Integrity means to keeps the levels of something at a good amount. It means that the farmers or store owners want to keep good local produce that shoppers count on and trust. To have integrity means to be trustworthy and reliable. The producers want to keep producing a good product that consumers trust. Hope that helps!
Kasia
Czech, Dutch, English, Finnish, German, Korean, Polish, Swedish
English, German, Korean