Wu Ting
How would you interpret this phrase “fed up to the blinkers”? “Do you know what, Tommy? Next month we should get together at my house. Honestly, it would be nice. I’ll make a lomo adobado. You’ve never seen my house.” He raised his eyebrows. “Oh, but what will the neighbors think.” “They’ll think I have a friend. One person knocking on my door who’s not in the pay of myself or the FBI. You hear about it all the time.” He didn’t answer. Finished with the hand inspection, he wound his watch. “Aren’t you sick of hotels?” “Fed up to the blinkers, if you want to know. Let’s go down to the bar.” How would you interpret this phrase “fed up to the blinkers” in the last line. Thanks. And this excerpt is taken from The Lacuna by Kingsolver.
7 июня 2015 г., 9:31
3
0
Thank you.
7 июня 2015 г.
Fed up means to be sick of something. Blinkers are the guards worn by a horse to restrict their vision and are worn beside their eyes. So it means to be completely sick of something, as if you had been filled with food right up to your eyes.
7 июня 2015 г.
Very fed up to the level of the eyes (if it could be measured).
7 июня 2015 г.
Wu Ting