HyunWook Park
Unless, Would/Could/Must have p,p Hello guys I really want to use "Unless, Would/Could/Must have p,p "when I speak in English since they are very commonly used. However, whenever I try to use them I feel so confused and sometimes I make a mistake so the meaning changes from what I mean. Does any one of you can explain precisely when to use it and how to use it in text? Thanks a lot in advance. Hyunwook
1
0
'Unless' means 'if not'. e. g. He won't pass his exam unless he studies. (He won't pass his exam if he doesn't study). Would/ could / might + have + past participle is used in the main clause of the 3rd Conditional to talk about unreal situation in the past. (We use Past Perfect or Past Perfect Continuous in the if-clause). The action happened, we can't change it any more. It also expresses regrets and criticism. e. g. If she had set the alarm clock, she wouldn't have overslept. (She didn't set the alarm clock,so she overslept). Thus, 3rd Conditional = unreal past. If+Past Perfect / Past Perfect Continuous : (main clause) would/could/might + have + past participle (3rd form of the verb)
HyunWook Park
English, German, Japanese, Korean
English, German, Japanese