Wu Ting
How would you interpret this phrase? “Aren’t you sick of hotels?” “Fed up to the blinkers, if you want to know. Let’s go down to the bar.” “We should get dinner. Some nice oxtail soup and Horlick’s, that’s what you need. You’ve let yourself get run down.” “Oxtail soup and Horlick’s. Cat, you are off the cob.” “Corny, that would mean. Sorry. I guess I’ll go.” He rolled himself upright, facing me, black socks on the floor. “Sorry me, chum, I’m just whammed. Sick of hotels, you said it. What is this furniture, all these bars on everything? It gives me the heebies, like I’m in the pen.” “It’s a style. Mission.” “Mission. Do they send up a preacher with the room service?” He lay back down on the bed, reached overhead to grasp the upright slats on the headboard, and briefly rattled them like a prisoner.How would you interpret this phrase “send up a preacher with the room service”? Thanks. And this excerpt is taken from The Lacuna by Kingsolver.Did the speaker ask whether they would send a preacher upstairs bringing the food to the customer?
1
0
A mission includes a place where a religious group or body are based whose aim is to convert non-believers to a particular religion or to persuade lapsed believers to return to their religion. His comment is facetious or ironic by suggesting that anyone "religious" would be found in such a "secular" place as this hotel despite its "mission" style appearance.
Wu Ting