Wu Ting
How would you interpret this sentence? “The hotel in D.C. had a lousy bar, the place was gestanko in general. Did I tell you there was a big scene?” “No.” “Last night. No, night before. I get back to my hotel after a whole day of meetings with the drizzle bags, I’m beat to the socks, and I can’t even get to the elevator. There’s a scene in the lobby. This huge colored cat, he’s got on a nice overcoat, hat, briefcase, everything, but he’s flailing. Football with the bellhops. I mean he’s down on the floor, they tackled him when he came in I guess. He’s a Negro, see. The hotel doesn’t have Negro guests.” How would you interpret this sentence “Football with the bellhops”? Did the speaker mean the African-American down on the floor was like a football to the bellboys? Thanks. And this excerpt is taken from The Lacuna by Kingsolver.
1
0
In American football the players tackle each other, and it would seem that the story is referencing football as a way to give an image of a man being tackled to the floor by bellhops like he would be in football.
Wu Ting