Wu Ting
How would you interpret this phrase? “Take a letter, Mrs. Brown. Tell the lady she needs to get in touch with General Eisenhower right away, because he too is in possession of a Communist Object.” Mrs. Brown sat at the typewriter, hands poised, waiting for the cue that my words were going to make some kind of sense. Sometimes she waits all day. “What did they call it? Oh, yes!” I said, snapping my fingers. My memory is fine, thank you. “The Order of Victory. It was in Life Magazine years ago, they had a full-page photo. A platinum star set with diamonds. Stalin gave it to him at Yalta. Tell her the next time Agent Myers comes around, she’d better tell him to go see Eisenhower. Make sure the general puts that thing in a poke and sends it right back to Stalin.” How would you interpret this phrase “waiting for the cue that my words were going to make some kind of sense”? PS: Mrs. Brown was the narrator’s secretary. Thanks. And this excerpt is taken from The Lacuna by Kingsolver.
3
0
The narrator is being sarcastic and Mrs. Brown realizes that he may not be serious, so she's waiting to see if he is. It's absurd to suggest that Eisenhower might get in trouble for possessing a military award (a Communist object) that was presented to him by Stalin during the war when Russia and the US were allies.
Wu Ting