Gil-seop
How to use comma? 1)It's often sung, but I have a preference for the violin versions. 2)It's often sung but I have a preference for the violin versions. 1)I was so thirsty. So, I told him to get some milk. 2)I was so thirsty. So I told him to get some milk. I've used comma like the number 1 sentences because I often saw other people use like those. However, I was corrected as the number 2 sentences. Which is correct? Please help me!
5
0
I am no expert on punctuation, nor do I care much for its correct or incorrect usage much (and neither do most people, as far as I can tell), unless the punctuation changes the meaning of the sentence, which is very rare. However, I'll try my best to answer: 1)It's often sung, but I have a preference for the violin versions. 2)It's often sung but I have a preference for the violin versions. Here 1) is correct. The rule with "but", "end" and "because" is that if the sentence portion after those words is a complete sentence, then you should use ",", otherwise - no ",". E.g. "I like violin music but not piano.", but "I like violin music, but I don't like piano music". And I think Mun Hwan is correct about comma after "so".
The first example, I think you can go either way. However, since the first part of the whole sentence is short that a comma isn't really needed. For the second example, the word "so" is used as "therefore." In that case, you don't use a comma to separate so and the rest of a sentence. However, if you use it as "anyway," so to change of thoughts, you should have a comma between so and the rest..
i think the number would be better
Gil-seop