Wu Ting
How would you interpret this phrase? I grew cross with Mrs. Brown today. It shouldn’t have happened, she is as good as gold. She did the shopping for me, I’m losing the nerve for going out, and it’s only March. She tolerates, as usual. Returned with change and receipts, plus cheerful news of spring, crocuses in the yards on Montford, tennis shoes on sale. A 12-pack of pencils is now 29 cents. The Zippo lighter went up to $6, so she went against orders and bought matches, more economical. I scolded her for it, telling her matches don’t work worth a damn in the bathtub. I’ve never sworn at her before. It made her go pale and sit down, like a telegram bearing bad news. It took her half an hour to respond.How would you interpret this phrase “cheerful news of spring, crocuses in the yards on Montford, tennis shoes on sale”? Does it mean the news Mrs. Brown brought consisted of spring, crocuses in the yards on Montford and tennis shoes on sale? OR does it mean the news Mrs. Brown brought was the news of spring which contained two parts : crocuses in the yards on Montford and tennis shoes on sale were two parts? Thanks. And this excerpt is taken from The Lacuna by Kingsolver.
3
0
thank you.
They are precisely the two examples she spoke of when she returned. No more no less.
The crocuses and the tennis shoes are examples of the cheerful news of spring that she brought.
Wu Ting