Hamed
Do these sentences sound natural? - Isn't anybody there who you can teach English to? - Isn't anybody there who you can learn English from? - Isn't anybody there who you can practice English with? And I want to end my sentences with a preposition. I have doubts if those sentences are correct or not. I need your help. Thanks in advance.
6
0
It would be better to begin all your questions like this: 'Isn't there anybody who..? The impersonal 'there' is the subject of the sentence, so it needs to come directly after the verb. But otherwise, your questions are fine. It is normal and natural to end sentences with prepositions in spoken English, and also in informal and neutral written English. You might want to use a more elegant construction for formal written contexts, with a 'with whom' or a 'from whom' in the middle.
In each case, 'there' naturally follows 'isn't' and precedes 'anybody' In each case I'd drop the 'who' then the trailing prepositions are much more comfortable. No, they sound awkward, although they are not incorrect. Move the 'there' and drop the 'who'
Agree with the first answer, all of these sound fine for informal but formally you wouldn't end a sentence with a preposition. All the sentences sound like natural spoken english. :)
Hamed
English, Persian (Farsi)