Wu Ting
How would you interpret “on sale” here? I grew cross with Mrs. Brown today. It shouldn’t have happened, she is as good as gold. She did the shopping for me, I’m losing the nerve for going out, and it’s only March. She tolerates, as usual. Returned with change and receipts, plus cheerful news of spring, crocuses in the yards on Montford, tennis shoes on sale. A 12-pack of pencils is now 29 cents. The Zippo lighter went up to $6, so she went against orders and bought matches, more economical. I scolded her for it, telling her matches don’t work worth a damn in the bathtub. I’ve never sworn at her before. It made her go pale and sit down, like a telegram bearing bad news. It took her half an hour to respond.How would you interpret “on sale” in the phrase “tennis shoes on sale”? Does it mean available to be bought, or being offered at a reduced price? I think it means available to be bought, because it’s spring and people would like buy tennis shoes. What do you think? Thanks. And this excerpt is taken from The Lacuna by Kingsolver.
1
0
If something is on sale, it typically means it's offered at a price that's lower than usual. If something is for sale, it means it's available to buy. It's difficult to find snow shovels for sale in the summer.
Wu Ting