JunHyuk Kim
Question on a word "home in on" I saw it on a news for children and want to make sure the meaning. So, please check up on two sentences. 1. While I was homing in on my place, I came across my ex with new boyfriend. Above sentence, the word means going. 2. I'm drawing up a report that homed in on customer preferences. it is used for showing the topic of the report in second one. Also, I would like to know how often the word is used because sometimes I've had it with repeating the same words. Thank you.
3
0
In your first sentence homing can mean going ... think of it as meaning moving closer towards. In the second sentece homing means focusing on. In my area of the U.S. I hear the word most often as a military term or a hunting/fishing term.
Hey there. "Homing in" is a phrase, but it's not used too often. 1) You're close, but not completely correct! In this sentence, it means "getting close to" (다가가는것 처럼요). 2) In this sentence, the phrase means "focusing on." So it would actually mean (A) "I'm drawing up a report that focuses in on customer preferences" or (B) "I'm drawing up a report that goes into customer preferences." Either version works! A is more formal, and B is more casual/conversational. Hope this helps!
I do not hear this phrase being used often at all.
JunHyuk Kim
Chinese (Mandarin), English, Korean