Antonio Tenorio
PREPOSITIONS WICH DRIVE MY CRAZY Is there any kind of shortcut to learn wich preposition goes with each expression in English? For instance on the sentence "I'm obsessed with losing weight" I as a english learner from Spain would say "I'm obsessed in losing weight" and tha tralation into spanish sounds a bit weird. Also I usually miss up with "ON" like in the sentence " My father insited on paying" instead "My father insited in payin" Thanks in advance
3
0
It's making you crazy because there are no consistent rules. But sometimes I point out to students other adjectives which go with the same preposition. e.g. impressed, satisfied, pleased, disappointed - all come with "with" and have meanings related to personal judgment It's something that one day I'd like to find teaching resources for. In the meantime, you could develop your own notes from your use of a dictionary and thesaurus.
Hey Antonio, where have you been? I don't think there is an easy way to learn the use of English prepositions (but I'm no teacher). What I would say is that I think you've been trying to work out which preposition to use, but in both examples you give, you should be looking for the phrasal verb. Both "insist on" and "obsessed with" are phrasal verbs in common use. I'll send you a message. Nice to see you around.
Antonio Tenorio