Enrique
après de dîner vs aprés le dîner I was corrected in the sentence "Je bois du café après de dîner" but I used the same structure than in the sentence "Je me lave les mains avant de déjeuner" which was correct. The correct sentence seemed to be "Je bois du café après le dîner" Why 'le' and not 'de'?
5
0
I think that there are two sources of confusion here: 1. The words 'déjeuner' and 'dîner'. They can refer to the meal itself or the act of eating. It is confusing that the noun and verb have the same form, but there are clues in the surrounding words. The main clue is the article (le) : if there is an article before 'dîner' - or an article combined with a preposition, such as 'au' or 'du' - then you know that it is a noun. 2. The word 'de'. Note that the word 'de' in the sentence "Je me lave les mains avant de déjeuner" is part of the prepositional phrase 'avant de'. You don't use 'de' with 'après'. The concepts of 'before doing' and 'after doing' need different grammatical constructions: 'Before doing something' = 'avant de + infinitive' 'After doing something' = as 'après (avoir/être) + past participle Here are two examples using the word 'dîner' as a verb, followed by literal translations into English: Je me lave les mains avant de dîner = I wash my hands before dining Je bois du café après avoir dîné = I drink coffee after having dined And here are the same sentences using it as a noun. Note that the article (le) indicates that 'le dîner' is a noun: Je me lave les mains avant le dîner = I wash my hands before dinner Je bois du café après le dîner = I drink coffee before dinner That's my take on it, anyway, as a non-native. I hope that helps.
Déjeuner, dîner, souper, goûter, etc, are verbs and nouns (the noun is built on the verb and is written exactly the same) So, "le déjeuner" is the noun and "déjeuner" is the verb. And you can write: "Je bois du café après le dîner" (noun) or "Je bois du café après avoir dîné" (verb) "Je me lave les mains avant de déjeuner" (verb) or "Je me lave les mains avant le déjeuner" (noun)
Enrique
English, French, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
English, French, Italian, Japanese