Yukie
Is it a common expression? I'm just wondering if people still use the idiom " It's raining cats and dogs". I've seen the expression only in books, but I've never heard it from a native speaker. I useally say "it's pouring" instead. I'd like to have some feedback from native English speakers, thanks
3
0
Hello Yukie, It is a rather old quaint idiom which is slowly disappearing from the language and would probably more likely to be used by older people. (And students of English!)
It's not a common expression at all. Because it's so amusing, it's always at the top of people's lists of 'strange things that English speakers' say. Both native and non-native speakers invariably refer to this phrase as a typical example of a funny English idiom. But the fact is that it's very rarely used, and never among younger people. As you point out, we tend to say something much simpler, such as 'It's pouring.'
Hi, Bob and Su.Ki. Thank you for your explanations. You guys have been a great help and I really appreciate it :)
Yukie