Wu Ting
How would you interpret these sentences? “You have to forgive hateful people, for what a man hates, he knows not.” “Who said that, Jesus Christ?” “Mr. Shepherd, there’s still a good deal of nice mail here, and some hateful. The good are from people who’ve read a book of yours or more, and glad of it. And the hateful ones are from people who know nothing of you. That’s all I’m saying. Look if you’re going to look. See if they mention a word you ever wrote.” She was right, they didn’t. They addressed a creature they had learned about through some other means. The news, presumably. “I can see how you’d get your feelings hurt,” she said. “As a man. But not as a writer, for they’ve not read your books. From the look of it, I’d say they’ve read nary a book at all.”How would you interpret these sentences? #1 I can see how you’d get your feelings hurt. How would you interpret the verb “see” here? Does it mean understand? #2 I’d say they’ve read nary a book at all. How would you interpret the word “book” here? Does it mean a book of the other speakers? Or did the speaker mean those people didn’t read any book? PS: Shepherd was a novelist receiving hateful letters. The other speaker, “she”, was his secretary. Thanks. And this excerpt is taken from The Lacuna by Kingsolver.
1
0
1. Yes, it means 'understand' 2. She suspects that these people have never read a single book in their lives.
Wu Ting