Ruthi
Religion and politics? Hi everyone, I have noticed several people raising questions related to religion and politics here on italki recently.It is stated in the guidelines of italki that we should not discuss those issues.However of course when people feel strongly about something they feel a need to write about it,and italki is a place where we write about what we feel.I understand the rule - the purpose being to keep italki as a neutral and comfortable place where people feel safe.But I also see that people want to feel free to talk about any subject they like. What do you all think about this rule?Should it be changed? Or is it a good rule?
6
4
In the United States people will just say "...sex, politics, and religion..." These are the three topics that a host is never supposed to let guests discuss, because they are so likely to end in arguments and hurt feelings. On italki, where people are from different countries that may not be on the best of terms, these topics are even more problematical. I'm interested in these topics and I sometimes do respond to questions that border on politics, but italki's policy is sensible. And it's a pity that italki doesn't allow for responses to be revised or edited after they are posted. I have on occasion posted things and immediately after posting them realized that I wanted to edit or retract them. That's my problem and not italki's, of course.
These are sore points, so, to my mind , it would be better to avoid them completely, even with your teachers. However, if the discussion goes well, it can be continued. Unfortunately, no one can guarantee that it won't go wrong later because not everyone can control themselves and remain respectful to each other. Anyway, the discussion should be stopped if someone goes too far. For the same reason I don't like questions on italki like "What do you think of my country?" Would that person feel happy if someone said something wrong about it?
I wrote an article for Italki last summer about the Scottish referendum. It was very neutral and designed to introduce people to the background. One person complained that it was political and should not be on Italki. Several people offered their views on what the people of Scotland should do and a fairly superficial discussion ensued. Italki say that they shut down comments on articles if they are getting too heated, so perhaps that's the best policy - wait and see how it develops.
Personally, I can't see any problem in it, I even like reading those threads. Even when the conversation is bordering on rudeness it allows to better understand the current way of thinking of those who are involved in it. After all, language learning is learning culture.
I think italki has gone overboard, censoring anything even remotely interesting. The discussion section has become so dull that they sometimes have to resort to spamming it with articles to make it look like there is activity there. No one is forced to read the political or religious posts. A lot of very smart and interesting people have left because of the tedium. Italki should realize that they took their money with them when they left.
Ruthi
Chinese (Mandarin), English, French, Hebrew, Spanish