Kelly Xu
in the muck up to its eyes ?? he continued, in the same distant tone, “an interesting case of some three years ago, also involving murdered children? Roosevelt, I’m afraid it was at the height of your struggles in Washington, so you may not have heard. And Moore, I believe you were at the time involved in a rather heated battle with The Washington Post, which wanted Roosevelt’s head on a platter.” “The Post,” I sighed in disgust. “The Post was in the muck up to its eyes with every illegal government appointee—” “Yes, yes,” Kreizler answered, holding up the weakened left arm to head me off. “There is no question that yours was the honorable position. The loyal one, too, although your editors seemed to be less enthusiastic in their support.” I would like to know what does the sentence of “The Post was in the muck up to its eyes with every illegal government appointee—” here mean. Thanks.
9 Th06 2015 15:08
2
0
To add to Amy's answer, "muck" is a synonym for "dirt" generally and also "corruption", which is what this text is about.
9 tháng 6 năm 2015
Hi, I would take this to mean 'heavily involved' . So in this case The Washington Post (a newspaper) was associating with a lot of illegal governement appointees. We also sometimes say 'I'm upto my eyes in it' which means you have a lot of work to do or that you are so heavily involved in something that you can't see properly (i.e. the muck is covering your eyes). Hope that helps!
9 tháng 6 năm 2015
Kelly Xu