HyunWook Park
When I order something in a cafe is it correct to say 'May I have one of this cakes' When I order something in a cafe or restaurant (For example a piece of cake) is it correct to say 'May I have one of this cakes' or Should I say 'May I have a piece of this cakes?' (cakes or cake?) If I want to have a coffee I usually say 'I would like to have a cup of coffee please'. Can you tell me how you order something in a cafe or restaurant? Thanks a lot for your help in advance :) Hyunwook
7
0
* May I have one of these cakes? = correct if you want the whole cake * May I have a piece/slice of this cake? * May I have a piece/slice of both of these cakes? * May I have a piece/slice of these three cakes? I'll have a (cup of) coffee. (In conversational American English, we tend to omitt "cup of".) ...or... I'd like a coffee with cream, please.
Yes you can say "May I have one of these cakes" or "May I have a piece of this cake?" Although depending on whether you want the whole cake or just a slice would determine which you would say. "I would like to have a cup of coffee please" is fine although personally I would say "Can I have a cup of coffee please?"
HyunWook Park
English, German, Japanese, Korean
English, German, Japanese