xiaokaoy
"Have you a TV set?" "No, I haven't." These two sentences were in an English textbook I used as a high school student. But I've never seen such sentences in any books written by native English speakers. Instead, native speakers seem to always say "Do you have ..." or "Have you got ...". My question is: Did native English speakers ever say "Have you sth?" in the 1980s?
2
0
It is grammatically correct not to use "do" when asking and answering a question with the verb "to have". That is not to say it is incorrect to use "do", both are acceptable. In America, however, it is rather uncommon and may sound a bit archaic. Using the word "do" for questions has been common for a long time, including questions with "have".
In my experience, I have never heard anyone say it like that. The better way to word it would be "Do you have a TV set? No I don't."
xiaokaoy