Wu Ting
How would you interpret “Vandy-wagon” here? It should have been a good day. With Tommy coming tomorrow. Not on the Vandy-wagon either, he just wants to visit. Passing through on his way to see some sculpture in Chattanooga. He’ll stay here, he wants to see my cave he says, the pork roast is already marinating. Mrs. Brown left early, I was boiling chiles and garlic in water to mix with the vinegar and oregano when the phone rang. Months without a call, waiting for Tommy and for Lincoln Barnes, and now they both turn up. How would you interpret “Vandy-wagon” in the third sentence? Thanks. And this excerpt is taken from The Lacuna by Kingsolver.
1
0
I'm not sure. "Vandy" is almost certainly a reference to "Vanderbilt," either the person or quite possibly Vanderbilt University. "Vandy-wagon" sounds like a takeoff on "bandwagon," meaning a "growing trend." If there were some exciting intellectual movement going on where the speaker lives, it COULD mean "he isn't coming here because of what's going on here, he's just passing through."
Wu Ting