kitty
So strange a sentence, how to understand? Could you please tell me how to understand "I shall never land the next vacancy for a stolen-crown-jewels recoverer to an inflntial emperor"? Thanks!
7
0
It is probably not the best example of English. "I shall never land" - i will never catch or get (a fishing reference). "stolen-crown-jewels recoverer" - a job title of someone who recovers crown jewels for a living. "an inflntial emperor" - I think this is a spelling mistake of 'influential' or 'infantile'? So the whole thing might be: I shall never get the job of crown jewels recovery for an influential emperor.
Have you copied the text exactly? There is a mistake with "inflntial". Did you mean "influential"? The best way to help you is for you to give us quite a lot of context and tell us what you think is happening just before this sentence is spoken.
The writer is writing playful English. It is not straightforward. He is saying simple things in a complicated way for the fun of it. Suppose my wife sends me to the store to get hot dogs and buns, I come back with a package of 8 hot dogs and a package of only 6 buns. She points out my mistake. I could say "Oh, I'm sorry." I could say "I guess I didn't do a good job of food purchasing." I could say "I guess I shouldn't apply for the position of Assistant Secretary of Hot-Dog-and-Bun Supply Chain Coordination and Synchronization to the Assistant Governor."
kitty