David
Idioms and phrasal verbs Hi everyone. What's the difference between the idioms and phrasal verbs? I which contexts are they used? (colloquial vs formal speaking situations) Could you recommend me any resources to learn them? I'm a bit confused about this and I wanna start adding them to my vocabulary. Thanks for your answers!
6
0
An idiom is any expression which has a non-literal meaning. For example, if you say 'Can you give me a hand?', this is an idiom, because you don't literally want the other person to give you a 'hand' : you want them to help you. If you something is very easy, you can say 'It's a piece of cake' - this is another idiom. A phrasal verb is a combination of a verb plus one or two other little words, usually adverbs or prepositions. When they are combined, they take on a new meaning. For example, 'come' + 'across' = 'come across', which means to find or meet. NB A piece of advice: Don't write 'wanna'. If you want to write proper English, you should use proper words. Take a look at this: http://www.italki.com/question/307087
An idiom is a saying or proverb eg: His bark is worse tah his bite. Don't count yopur eggs before they hatch. The early bird catches the worm. A phrasal verb is basically a verb plus one or two other words together eample: put off = to postphone or delay make up = to create, invent take off = to leave
An idiom is a saying or proverb eg: His bark is worse than his bite. Don't count your eggs before they hatch. The early bird catches the worm.
David
English, Portuguese, Spanish
English, Portuguese