Vanusa
What difference between not and no?
5
0
Question: What is the difference between 'not' and 'no'? Answer: Not' makes a verb negative. For example: I am a student ----> I am not a student. 'No' makes a noun negative. For example: Some money ---> No money So, if you want to translate 'No tengo tiempo', you can do this in two different ways. You can make the verb negative: 'I [do not] have time' or you can make the noun negative; 'I have [no time].
In addition to "not" being able to make a verb negative, it can also make an adjective negative. "I only wear not yellow clothes." It can also negate an adverb. "I not infrequently go to the store." It can also apply to pronouns, like as follows. "Who wants this?" "Not me." It can apply to nouns or pronouns as well to contradict something. "The boy, not my brother, ate the cake." "Not just anybody would do that." It can also be used in exclamation if something bad is happening to something. "Not the car!" (E.g. it's burning.) Unlike "not", the uses of "no" are much more limited. It indicates a lack of something or is an answer to a question. "Do you have that?" "No." "I have no food." It also is used before a noun to mean "not any". "No amount of kindness will solve this." I think this is all, but if anyone has anything to add, feel free - "not" has a lot of uses.
Sometimes /no/ is another form for the number zero, or to express that something is not present. Examples: - there are no books in these shelves. - today there are no cars in the parking lot, why is that? - no one answered the phone, so nobody knew what was going on. - no sane person would accept a job like that! - not a single sane person would accept a job like that!
"No" is a simple answer. You can say "no" by itself. You cannot say "not" by itself. Not is used with other words. Ex. Q: Do you want to go to the movies? Q: Do you want to go to the movies? A: No. A: Not right now. / I do not.
Vanusa
English, Portuguese