Wu Ting
What’s the “Stanback Powders”? “You’re an editor, Mr. Barnes. Your stock-in-trade is the handiwork of other people. So this could be Stanback Powders we’re discussing, or fine leather shoes, as far as you’re concerned. I don’t know, I’m only guessing. But for me it is different. I am the tongue of the shoe. If you pull me out of it, the whole thing falls apart.” What’s the “Stanback Powders” in the context? Thanks. And this excerpt is taken from The Lacuna by Kingsolver.
1
0
The only Stanback Powders I'm aware of is a headache medicine. I think it is made with caffeine and aspirin. You can buy some on Amazon! http://www.amazon.com/Stanback-Headache-Powder-Count-Pack/dp/B000GG6B56 So, I think the speaker is simply saying that it doesn't really matter WHAT the "handiwork of other people" actually is, and just chose Stanback Powders and leather shoes as an example.
Wu Ting