Michael G
How important is it to focus on one dialect? If I want to improve my Spanish writing and speaking so that I can travel to various Spanish-speaking countries, should I specialize my learning in a particular dialect? To give some context, I am interested in travelling throughout Mexico, Argentina and Spain. Will small differences between the dialect I learn and the country I visit cause my writing and speaking to be incomprehensible?
6
1
Have you ever experienced difficulty reading a newspaper from England or having a conversation with an Australian?
ser y estar en cada momento y lugar. That is the question
From what I've heard, it wouldn't make it totally incomprehensible somewhere else. The foundation is the same, if that makes sense. Some people may, however, look at you oddly or laugh at how you say something. I learned Peruvian and Ecuadorian Spanish for the first 2.5 years, with a little exposure to accents from Spain, and then thought the teacher who took over had odd slang, since he spoke Mexican Spanish. The next teacher I had sounded like she only knew Spanish from textbooks, so it was rather weird-sounding as well. In college I took classes where I got to hear Spanish from Argentina and Spain. So I tend to get odd looks regardless, since I can't remember where I picked up a certain word, but usually if there's any confusion on meaning, a native speaker can explain how *they* would say it, and then we're good.
Is important but you can make you understand what you want to some spanish country to other, the diferences arent so big. You learn by the moment you are there. Here in argentina are a lot of people of others Spanish languages, sometimes is funy some terms they use but at moment you remember the second timne don t use it or if you use it laugh a litle and thats all.
Michael G
Spanish